I'm thinking of changing my son's nickname to Crash, as he has such a penchant for getting himself bruised and dinged up. For a while now I've been (only half-jokingly) threatening to get him a padded helmet. His only serious (e.g., ER-worthy) injury to date was actually my fault, but he does seem to stay battered around the head area rather more than other kids.
The latest mishap happened Friday evening after supper. I was doing the dishes and Speck was playing with DH in the living room. I heard a THUMP! followed by loud crying. Speck had tripped, apparently over his own feet, and fallen into the wall. He managed to land so that he nailed his little head right on a corner. It was quite alarming to see a dent in his forehead with the skin rapidly swelling around it. If he were a cartoon character there would definitely have been birdies flying around his head.
We got ice on it quickly, and as you can see above just an hour or so later he was smiling again. So basically it all turned out ok, and now a couple days later there really isn't even a knot or bruise. But sheesh, this gets nerve-wracking! I mean, baby-proofing is all well and good, but there's no way I know of to prevent this kind of accident. Except, you know, that padded helmet I mentioned...
No comments:
Post a Comment