Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Boys on the Move



















Every day Speck takes a few more steps on his own. But he's still soooo careful and tenative; it's pretty cute. To try and help him feel more confident, DH and I are making a special effort to "walk" him everywhere rather than carrying him. This afternoon my boys were walking around the front yard. Oh and DH, if you ever read this, sorry for cutting your head off in most of the pictures I took today.

You may notice Speck's souveneir. He was cracking us up because every few steps he would stop abruptly to squat and pick up lawn debris. Occasionally it was a nice harmless leaf, but for some reason he was most passionately interested in giant "you'll put your eye out" sticks. Or prickly pine cones.

After Speck went to bed, I ventured out for a short run and got a preview of the fun soon to come our way. I was running past a house where there were several cars, suggesting a party. Also they had ordered pizza. By chance I happened to know the delivery person from way back in the day. I stopped to say a quick hello to her, and this little blonde kid wearing diapers (and nothing else) comes strolling toward us from between the parked cars. There were a few grown-ups on the porch but no one realized the child was gone. I spoke to the kid and he made an abrupt turn away from me, away from his house, clearly intent on escaping full-tilt boogie up the sidewalk. I was reluctant to just grab him; didn't want to alarm him or anything. I kept moving to stay between him and the street, arms out like a basketball player, all the while hollering "hey, there's a baby over here, are you guys missing a BABY?!" I was about to bite the bullet and just snatch him up in my arms, when finally a lady (I assume his mother) comes running up, calling his name. He stopped and went to her and all was well. But it was a tense few minutes for sure!

1 comment:

B said...

Somehow I don't think you and DH will allow Speck to get that close to the street.

Love ya!