Spencer has not had the best time of it lately. As a result of his erratic eating (which I have lamented in prior posts), he ended last week with a traumatic episode of constipation. I will omit the gory details and just assure you all that everything came out all right (wink wink). But he and we had several pretty uncomfortable days there.
Yesterday he started coughing and sneezing and running at the nose, a trend which has continued and intensified today. And to top it off, the cold dry air combined with a lot of nose-wiping has earned him a chapped little face.
After all this I have been feeling pretty bad for the little guy, and inclined to indulge him a bit. So all day long I have been playing a version of Rock-Paper-Scissors-Spock-Lizard with his meals. (here's a brief explanation of R-P-S-S-L for those of you less geeky than I). I want to give him whatever his pitiful heart desires, within reason. But what he mostly wants is bread, bananas, cheese...in other words, prime plug-the-pipes food. So I do these goofy calculations: if I let him eat 1/2 a banana, then I should have him wash it down with prune juice; he can eat 2 biscuits, but only if smeared with pureed pears. And when I feel like a heartless old hag for denying him more cheese, I tell myself that it's my job to make sure that he doesn't find out how it feels to be plugged up at both ends at the same time.
No comments:
Post a Comment