Wednesday, June 4, 2008

This just in...Speck's First Word!

Not mama, not dada...Speck's first word is "ball". Well technically "bah", which usually means ball, but can also mean bear, bread, or book. Fortunately DH and I know the First Rule of Bible Interpretation (which can be applied to other subjects): "context, context, context."

DH is now wondering whether this means Speck is destined to be a jock. Being as DH and I are both confirmed geeks that could be a challenge. I was such a dork I lettered in band and scholar's bowl. But if Speck turns out to be a football star I'm sure we'll muddle through somehow.

Finally took my last section of the CPA exam last Friday. I'm not feeling as confident about this one so odds are I will wind up having to re-take it, but at least I have a break from studying for now. Thanks again to all of you who have helped out in various ways.

I got a little good news yesterday. One of my favorite podcasts, Babies and Moms, was running a contest and I won! They asked for listeners to contribute "you know you're a mom if's..." It just so happened that I had written a top 10 list of these a week or so before the contest, so I had some ready to send. My winning submission was: You know you're a mom if your “me time” usually consists of daddy watching the baby for 30 minutes while you clean up the kitchen.
Check out the post from 4/3/08 for my whole list. Anyway, I won a necklace and got to talk on the show for a couple minutes. W00t! My 2 minutes of fame. If you want to hear the show, you can go to their website or get it in iTunes. I think it's going to be the June 5th episode.

For those few in the audience who may not already know, I did manage to lock myself out of the house this morning with Speck inside. I went outside "just for a second" to turn off the sprinkler, and my hands apparently just did their little trick and locked the door. I had to run and borrow the neighbor's cell phone to call in rescue from my FIL. I could see and talk to Speck through the front window, and most of the time he thought we were just playing a new game, but eventually he got bored and wandered up the hall where I couldn't see him. He was AWOL for about 10 minutes and I was seriously considering whether to try and break in a window with my shoe by the time help arrived. As it turns out he was perfectly happy and completely fine. But criminy what a scare! We were lucky. Poor DH didn't even have the heart to lecture me he was so relieved and also he knew I was kicking myself pretty hard already. I have something of a history of locking myself out of places. But the stakes are a bit higher with Speck involved. I guess I need to add "you know you're a mom if you've seriously contemplated breaking a window to rescue a child" to my list...

No comments: