Thursday, May 1, 2008

Fun with Blankie





One of my former co-workers made Speck a very lovely blanket before he was born. It matches his room almost perfectly. It hasn't been out in the world much as I tend to be the kind of person who hoards treasured items rather than use them, because I don't want them damaged.

Speck is kinda changing my perspective on this issue.


Or perhaps I have just become resigned to the inevitable. Entropy gets us all in the end anyway.

For the past year, this particular blanket has rested on the back of Speck's rocking chair; technically I guess it's my chair being as I am the one who sits in it, but it is in his room. But I digress. Lately he has become fascinated with the blanket. Any time we start to settle in the chair to get ready for a nice nap, or maybe just to cuddle or read a book, he zeroes in on the blanket and starts trying to bring it in for a closer look. This makes for quite a bit of wiggling. A few days ago it turned into such a wrestling match that I just shoved the blanket out of sight. BTW this ploy is not really effective any longer, but in this instance he was very tired and I knew if I could get him to just be still already he would konk out.

So today it finally occurred to me that he might like to play with the blanket. Ohmigosh, when I spread it out on the floor for him he had a total fit! He rolled and he chewed and he grabbed and he grinned. I'm not sure what he likes so much; maybe the pattern and colors. Tons of fun for him and me.

No comments: